My car won't start!
When your car won't start, you might jump to the conclusion that you have a dead battery. You should realise something else could be the culprit.
- Do you have a bad starter or solenoid?
- Is your alternator bad?
Your battery could also be discharged, which simply means it needs recharging. Check around to see what may be causing the battery to discharge.
- Has your car been sitting for a long time? If so, the battery may discharge by itself.
- Are there drains on your battery when your car is turned off? Check accessories including mobile phones, speed trap detectors, GPS, TV, or computers. Even car alarms can impact your battery.
- Have you left your headlights, inside light, glove box light, or boot light on for a long period of time? That can cause an excessive drain on your battery.
- Is it extremely hot or extremely cold? Both high and low temperatures can take their toll on the battery's charge.
- Is there an electrical short anywhere in the vehicle?
- Have you modified your vehicle with air conditioning, power boosters, advertising signs, or additional radios?